ollieacompulsiveovereater

This is my online journal of Recovery from Compulsive Overeating. This blog is a personal tool and is in no way affiliated with any established recovery group.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

 
Am I feeling a bit down and blue. No, things are good; my daughter is lively and healthy, and I have my health, though I am nursing an injury.

My guess is that I didn't do a hard workout today is part of the reason. And I hope that part of the reason is not that I am not going to get to practice partner yoga with my yoga teacher.

If so, I'll have to give that up.

Part of it might be that I have been strict with food over the past several days?
I did make a couple of calls to OA memebers who might not be doing so well; that might help.

And there is always this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=62801

Obesity Linked to Mood Disorders

More Psychiatric Disorders, Less Substance Abuse in Obese People

By Daniel DeNoon
WebMD Medical News

Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Wednesday, July 05, 2006

July 5, 2006 -- Obese people are 25% more likely to suffer mood and anxiety disorders -- and 25% less likely to suffer substance abuse disorders -- than people who aren't obese.

That finding is based on analysis of data from a nationally representative survey of 9,125 U.S. adults. Gregory E. Simon, MD, MPH, of Seattle's Group Health Cooperative, and colleagues report their results in the July issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry.

What the study does not say is whether obesity gives rise to psychiatric disorders -- or whether psychiatric disorders make it more likely a person will be obese.

Or, as Simon and colleagues write: "Nearly one-quarter of the cases of obesity in the general population are attributable to the association with mood disorder. It is equally correct to state that more than one-fifth of cases of mood disorder in the general population are attributable to the association with obesity."

The survey is based on in-home interviews with study participants, conducted between February 2001 and February 2003.

The survey shows that, compared with people who are not obese, obese people are:

  • 21% more likely to suffer major depression
  • 47% more likely to suffer bipolar disorder
  • 27% more likely to suffer panic disorder or fear of open places
  • 22% less likely to suffer substance use disorders.

There were no significant differences between obese men and obese women.

However, the link between obesity and mood disorders was particularly strong for non-Hispanic whites and for college graduates.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   July 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Dual Drill
Free Web Counter
Dual Drill